2016 Warriors' Day Parade
1. WHEN: Saturday, August 20, 2016. Markers will form up at 1000 hours. The Parade moves off at 1030 hours sharp.
Please Note - Parking is very limited - Arrive early at the CNE. Veterans in uniform or having an Ontario Veteran's license plate will be afforded free parking underground at theEnercare Centre, off Strachan Avenue.
NOTE Buses will NOT be allowed in Gore Park for safety reasons. Buses are to unload on Fort York Blvd. Fort York Blvd. is just to the east of Gore Park. Buses are to unload and then move directly to the bus parking area within the CNE grounds entering via Ontario Drive.
4. SALUTING DAIS: The reviewing stand will be located on the North side of Princes' Blvd., opposite the Allstream Centre.
5. DISPERSAL AREA:
The dispersal for marchers (only) will be in the parking lot west of Stanley Barracks.
Vehicles will proceed west and exit via Nunavut Drive onto Lakeshore Blvd.
Buses will move along Lakeshore after contingents have dismounted in Gore Park (Ft. York Blvd) and RV with their groups in the Ontario Drive parking lot.
Sunnybrook Vets, etc. will be seated on the north side of Princes Blvd. in shade and in tentage, with bleachers set up on the south side in front of the Allstream Centre for members of the general public.
The buses used by the Vets. will move to Canada Drive for pick up after the parade.
6. REGISTRATION:Participation in the Warriors' Day Parade is open to military, para-military marching contingents, military and para-military bands, veterans' contingents and military-themed living history/re-enactor contingents. Each participating contingent must be registered at the Registration Tables, located at the west end of Gore Park. Please register as early as possible. We encourage contingents to register in advance using the printable Registration Form or by using the On-line Registration Form which may be submitted by email. Please review the information printed on the form carefully.
Contingents who choose to register in advance, are still required to check in at the Registration Tables on the morning of the Parade to complete the registration process and obtain a registration number.
Please Note: Parking is very limited, arrive early at the CNE.
commences at 08:00 hours and closes promptly at 10:00 hours.
Upon reporting to the registration table, the individual representing the contingent will be issued a standard showing the registration number assigned to that particular contingent. This registration number serves two purposes. The first is to identify the contingent's name to the announcer during the march past and the second, for judging purposes. Please ensure this registration number is visible and carried for the full length of the Parade Route. As the judges are all positioned on the south side of Princes' Blvd., markers are to be carried by the left marker. Please return the marker at the end of the parade.
As the Warriors' Day Parade Council cannot predict the number of Cadets and Scouts available for the Parade, you may be required to provide your own registration number bearer to carry your registration number. The registration number must be carried in the front rank and on the left hand side of your unit and be visible at all times for the judges and the announcer. Wherever possible, cadets or scouts will be assigned to Bands and Colour parties. (See Para 10, Judging.)
Contingents having few marchers may, if they wish, march together with another group. In these cases only the combined contingent will register and that combined contingent only will be eligible to receive any awards won. Upon amalgamation, the unused registration number(s) must be returned to the registration table. In addition, the combined contingent must decide which name is to be used for judging purposes, for the announcer and the awarding of trophies.
Those individuals unable to march the entire Parade route are invited to 'fall in' with their contingents for the march past. This 'joining up point' will be just inside the Princes' Gate.
Registration Tables: Contingents must register at one of the five tables as listed below
7. ORDER OF MARCH:
8. PARADE MARSHAL: The Parade Marshal and Deputy Parade Marshals are responsible for the placement of each contingent in the Parade formation. Balloons will mark the sections only.
9. BANDS: Unattached bands will be assigned a position in the Parade by the Parade Marshal.
10. JUDGING: Judging is based on the following:
Under the direction of the Chief Judge the Judge's decisions are final.
NOTE: Scores are recorded to the Registration Number carried by the appointed person to or from the contingent. For participating contingents to be judged properly, each unit MUST be properly registered and carrying an assigned registration number.
Music performance will not be judged.
11. WINNERS: Winners are advised as soon as possible following the Parade. A maximum of two representatives per contingent will be invited to the Awards Dinner for presentation of the award. Competition results will be posted on our website at www.thewarriorsdayparade.ca
12. AWARDS: The Warriors' Day Parade Council shall determine the number of awards given in each competition (see page 4).
13. AWARDS DINNER - 15 October 2016: Due to space limitations, attendance is by "invitation only" to those contingents being awarded a trophy.
14. PARTICIPATION AWARDS: Entries for the Participation Awards may be obtained at the "Information Officer" table adjacent to the Registration tables. Only those serving or ex-serving personnel marching in the Parade are eligible.
Due to limited space at the dispersal areas, entries should be completed while in Gore Park and are to be deposited in the drum located at the registration/Information table. A selected number of entries will be drawn. The winners will be notified after the Parade and will receive a cash award by mail.
15. ORDER OF DRESS: At the discretion of participating contingent.
16. MILITARY MEDALS AND DECORATIONS: Military medals and decorations to be worn.
17. ARMS: Arms may be carried. The firing of any weapon, rifle, etc., is prohibited by law and is not permitted. Any infringement will immediately disqualify the contingent from any awards.
18. COLOURS: National colours are not to be 'dipped' at any time. Flag Etiquette is as follows:
(a) In a parade, procession or mounted ride, the Canadian flag should be displayed in the position of honour at the marching right or centre front.
(b) When two or more than three flags are flown together, the Canadian flag should be on the left as seen by the spectators located in front of the flags.
(c) When a number of countries are represented, the Canadian flag may be flown at each end of the line of flags.
(d) When three flags are flown together, the Canadian flag should be in the centre position, with the other flags in alphabetical order, as seen by the spectators viewing the flags.
19. POSTER: Please post the poster on your notice boards, so your members will have advance information.
DO'S AND DONT'S:
COMPETITIONS OPEN TO COMMONWEALTH VETERANS' ASSOCIATIONS DOMICILED IN CANADA
The Canon Scott Trophy
The Goodyear Remembrance Trophy
The Elwood Hughes Trophy
The Hon. L.M. Alexander Pipe Band Award
The Metropolitan Toronto Police Veterans Memorial Trophy
The John Labatt Trophy
The Lt (N/S) Kay Christie ARRC Memorial Trophy
Lord Mayor’s (London, England) Cup Competition
The Frank Jamieson Memorial Trophy - Parade Champions
COMPETITION OPEN TO CANADIAN ARMED FORCES – REGULAR & RESERVE
Drum Major William MacDougall MacKay, CD Memorial Trophy